Sunday, October 28, 2007

Open-Source using Microsoft ?


Objective will be to build an incredible Desktop on a ancient outdated computer {256MB-10GBhd-850mhz], with all the bells and whistles. Absolutely security will be the foundation, wrapped in stealth and amazing functionality. Impressively, all in under
3-4gigs ! The REAL ultimate XP install. I've seen lots of these things, but this one promises to impress even the most advanced Win.XP user (ick). Okay, so here we go.... Open-Sourcing Win. ?
You bet ! Who says you can't open source using Window garbage if you have to. That's where I'm at thanks to a recent Printer driver crisis that left me no other temporary choice. I know the very suggestion is an oxymoron. But we will build a smart supporting cast using open source, or at least free software. Either until I can afford to upgrade, or Lexmark sees the light. The later has already been dismissed. Lexmark advised me they have no plans in supporting a Linux driver. Can you believe they even had the nerve to phrase it as my needing to Upgrade. To the contrary, having been back in WinXP now for 3 days coming from Ubuntu is quite a let down. Ubuntu, or actually my preferred flavor- Xubuntu is a much better computing experience. In the future I may do even some side stuff for anyone I can persuade into checking out a Ubuntu version. Either on a partitioned dual boot set-up, or best of all in it's purest form. Because in no way am I endorsing or condoning anyone into using this crap unless like me you have no other choice. It just so happened the only printer on the planet that can't be run on my system without bottoming out on disc space. But if you're smart you will get a free copy of the best OS there is sent right to your door, and call it a day. https://shipit.ubuntu.com/

No comments: