Saturday, December 22, 2007

Gett'in Jiggy With it: How to trick out Win XP, Like you mean it.

I did some serious tweaking my Windows XP. I had to actually look for some of the file locations. I should write it down somewhere so I don't forget if I need to go back and find anything. And share it with anybody who cares. First we go for a really cool little executable that turns each keystroke into a sound. Choices are A to Z but I dig the old time fashioned typewriter. You can get it at Steve Gibson's GRC.com Steve is Spyware's living Antichrist so you know the file is safe to download. If you don't believe me, he can be whatever he wants since he is the one that invented the word("spyware"). Get The program called "Clickey" It's a no brainier to install. I was a bit thrown when a .dll file popped up, but just throw it someplace like "my documents". But the next thing to do with Clickey is throw it in the start menu. Go to documents & settings, then whatever user you are or all users, there you'll see the start menu, click it open, click open programs, and finally open the Startup folder. Remember this step because you can put a mp3 or .wav file in there too. It will play as soon as you start your computer. I have mine screech the psycho theme. It launches my WinAmp music player right away then for me and has it ready to go too. You can get creative and have it play a positive quote or a song you like, TV theme song, cartoon sounds, whatever there are .wav files of everything and anything. Grab some funny wav files, then go to control panel, Windows then open the folder "Media". Put all the funny sounds you found in this folder. You will see them when you go to Sounds and Audio Devices and then switch the tab on the box to Sounds. On the bottom is a box with all the sounds the Win XP system makes. Logon, logoff, start up, error, etc. you can select the sound and then browse one of the sounds in the Windows/Media folder. I hooked my system to play a sound of a car that can't turn over and programs starting up causes a three stooges loud bonk followed by the customary whoo whoo whoo whoop. and logon is a car revving the motor. It sounds nut's but somehow it works just right. The sounds all meld together quite humorously. It's really not as annoying as it sounds. Finally when it logs off it plays the Pacman dying sound from the old video game. And I have some other mixed stuff thrown in there like for my mail messenger i use Star trek Klingon alert and another is the Telegraph morse code sounds. All the sounds were really easy to find.

No comments: